DL News Staff
People often say that time goes by too quickly. In fact, as I near graduation, I find myself saying that same thing more than ever. It seems like only yesterday I was headed off to my first day of pre-school, and now I'm only weeks away from the end of my high school career. Now, more than ever, it seems that life in general is becoming faster paced. New technology debuts every day, promising to make things go more quickly whether they be checkout stands at the grocery store or cooking a meal at home. Shortcuts have become part of everyday life and are used by many.
With a new storefront and new services available, Solutions LLC's expansion project will afford area business a variety of conveniences. Taking over the adjoining Washington Square Mall storefront, Solutions LLC is now poised to be a true small business incubator, says owner/operator Beth Pridday, with business shared Internet access, meeting room and office space, as well as copier, fax, UPS and notary services. "We added 1,400-square feet and now have four new office spaces," explained Pridday.
Ginny Stephens, owner of Ginny's Style Station Boutique in Detroit Lakes, attended a retail retreat along with Style Station manager Lacy Hamilton and assistant manager Rebecca Price.
You started the business or department, nursed it over humps and bumps, watched it grow and finally thrive. That success was founded on your willingness to do anything and everything. You are comfortable with having your hands in all aspects of the endeavor. Now, however, it is becoming harder and harder to keep it all together. Long hours have become the norm. It is more difficult to remain caught up. And worse yet, you are beginning to make mistakes.
L&M Supply Inc., an independently operated retail company with stores in Grand Rapids, Hibbing, Virginia, Cloquet, Bemidji, Park Rapids and Detroit Lakes, held its sixth annual Service Award Program on March 18 with a banquet held at Sawmill Inn in Grand Rapids. L & M Supply employees were recognized for their more than 20 years of service with the company. They are Glenn LaPlant, Marla Moris and Diane Latimer. LaPlant, department head of sporting goods for their Grand Rapids store, was recognized for his 25 years of service to L&M Supply, Inc.
Dr. Larry Morrison and Dr. Michael Morrison, along with staff members of Morrison Eye Care, recently attended continuing education classes at Walman University in Minneapolis. Classes included Pediatric Optometric Practice, Contact Lens Fitting, Contact Lens Management After Refractive Keratoplasty, Multifocal Contact Lens Fitting, Red Eye Review, Eyewear Presentation and Anatomy of the Eye in the Exam Room. Credits from the March 11 seminar are used to fulfill the American Optometric Associations requirements to hold a certification.
The Municipal Clerks & Finance Officers Association of Minnesota has recognized Shelly Dillon, city clerk of the City of Callaway, as a Minnesota Certified Municipal Clerk. Dillon was recognized at the Association's annual conference, March 14-17, in St.
Only 10 percent is equipment. The other 90 percent of trap shooting is learning and employing sound techniques. You need a shotgun that fits you and you are comfortable with. But you have to have a solid regimen when using that shotgun from the trap shooting line. It's disastrous if you pick up bad habits along the way. A flinch is really bad. I've had that problem, and so have other shooters. You think about the noise and recoil, and react prior to pulling the trigger.
The 412 Lakes Toastmasters Club of Detroit Lakes has recently changed its meeting place, as well as the time and the frequency of its meetings. Toastmasters International (TMI) is now convening twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month, from noon to 1 p.m., in the Elks Room of the Speak Easy Restaurant, 1100 North Shore Drive. How Toastmasters works The Toastmasters program is not a college, trad school, or other formal course in public speaking. There are no instructors, professors, or classrooms. No one's work is graded and no tests are administered.
Innovative acoustic guitar virtuoso Leo Kottke will be in the area for two shows this coming week. The first is a Thursday, April 27 show at Detroit Lakes' Historic Holmes Theatre. Kottke will also appear on Saturday, April 29, at the Empire Arts Center in Grand Forks, N.D. Long considered a cult figure in the world of guitar music, Kottke has released over 25 albums, beginning with a masterpiece titled "12 String Blues," which was recorded live in 1969.