Weekly Update: New COVID-cases increase 29% in 8-county lakes area this week; Minnesota reports a 50% increase in weekly infections
Since Dec. 29, 2021, the state reported an additional 33,913 COVID-19 cases, a 50% increase compared to the previous week, totaling 1,049,310 for the entire pandemic. Also, 203 new deaths were reported by the state in the last seven days, 11 fewer than the previous week, totaling 10,671 for the entire pandemic. Currently, Becker County reported 76 active cases, an increase of 5 active cases since Dec. 29. Statewide COVID-19 data is not being released on federal holidays, Saturdays and Sundays.
New COVID-19 cases increased by 29%, 572 new cases, in the 8-county northwest lakes area over the past week. Only three COVID-related deaths were reported in the 8-county lakes area compared to 10 deaths the during the previous week.
Statewide, 203 COVID-related deaths were reported this week, compared to 214 in the previous seven days, totaling 10,671 for the entire pandemic.
Becker County reported 76 active cases on Jan. 4, an increase of 5 active cases compared to the previous week.
Following are the state-listed total number of positive COVID-19 cases in the lakes area, by county, from Dec. 29 to Jan. 4, 2022.
- Becker: 6,690, up 76 cases since Dec. 29 (81 deaths).
- Clay (Moorhead): 13,410, up 304 cases since Dec. 29, including 1 additional death (114 deaths).
Otter Tail: 10,674, up 112 cases since Dec. 29, including 2 additional deaths (146 deaths).
- Hubbard: 3,826, up 33 cases since Dec. 29 (51 deaths).
Norman: 1,099, up 5 cases since Dec. 29 (10 deaths).
Mahnomen: 1,170, up 12 cases since Dec. 29 (16 deaths).
Clearwater: 1,706, up 16 cases since Dec. 29 (25 deaths).
- Wadena: 3,253, up 14 cases since Dec. 29 (44 deaths).
Otter Tail County reported 90 active cases on Dec. 29, a decrease of 34 active cases over the previous week, according to Otter Tail County Public Health .
Becker County reported 76 active cases, an increase of 5 active cases on Dec. 29, according to Becker County Public Health.
Cass County, N.D. (Fargo) reported 571 active COVID-19 cases on Dec. 29, a decrease of 61 active cases, according to the North Dakota Health Department . There have been 39,497 cases reported in Cass County since the pandemic began, including 284 deaths.
The Minnesota Department of Health is also providing weekly updates on vaccination breakthrough cases on their web portal .
More information and assistance
- MDH COVID-19 hotline: 651-201-3920 or 800-657-3903. The hotline is available seven days a week, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
- MDH COVID-19 website: www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html
- Becker County Public Health is available to answer your questions regarding COVID-19 at 218-847-5628, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Otter Tail County Public Health is available to answer general questions regarding COVID-19 at 218-998-8320 or 888-349-2581, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Otter Tail County COVID-19 Health Information: ottertailcountymn.us/content-page/covid-19-health-information/ .
As a public service, we’ve opened this article to everyone regardless of subscription status. If this coverage is important to you, please consider supporting local journalism by clicking on the subscribe button in the upper righthand corner of the homepage.